14-10-2016, 11:22 AM
(13-10-2016, 05:04 PM)Mark Hennessy Wrote: The mistake most people seem to make is buying an LCD that is too big. In effect, they are sitting too close to the picture. In my small lounge, my 28" CRT (~26" visible) is about right. If you get closer, Freeview MPEG artefacts become apparent (though you can get closer when playing DVDs). I think that 32" might be OK with the better Freeview channels, and definitely DVDs, but then flicker will start to become an issue (100Hz CRT sets were universally terrible in my experience).
I guess I'll have to make the move one day, and perhaps 40" would be about right for HD. Shame it'll be too big for SD though. Though given that we're not big TV viewers, I'm hoping the CRTs will give us another decade at least
I find it a shame that my TV doesn't have two levels of "zoom out", one for ordinary SD and one for VHS!
The better quality WS DVDs are quite good up-scaled to 1920 x 1080.
Our DVD player has 1440 x 576 and 1440 x 480 progressive component out. The TV has VGA, Y/C, composite, RGB SCART, component and three or four HDMI. Good luck trying to find more than SCART and 2 x HDMI now. Or even analogue audio out!
Too many older films on DVD are being sold in high street / Tesco etc that are encoded for USA market, only 480 lines, so a 30% quality reduction. Chaplin collection.
I have one Film to DVD transfer that crazily is interlaced "NTSC style" on the disk instead of progressive and letting the DVD player interlace (if required), as a result it has the motion comb artefacts!
Some people also have too small a TV. For UK average viewing distance and quality of vision, about 34" would be right for decent SD. Very much broadcast SD is now far poorer than Analogue due to over compression. Also very many WS SD channels running about 544 x 576 resolution to save money.
Never mind the the quality (picture OR content!) you have 100s of channels!
So I'd like a projector with a motorised screen and mask and remote controlled Zoom lens for 28" (4:3) to 72" (3:1) approx (Ben Hur is 2.7:1 ratio!)








