13-10-2016, 05:04 PM
Yes, I have an ancient multiscan CRT monitor, and that'll lock to just about anything. I'm not sure what the highest resolution is, but it'll do HD with ease. Although you need to get quite close to it (and use reading glasses now that I'm a certain age
) to get the benefit. I forget the dot pitch, but it was certainly invisible to the naked eye when I got it 20 years ago (when my close-up vision was very sharp indeed). It's a Trinitron CRT, but the chassis is not made by Sony. The contemporary Sony monitors with identical CRTs were nowhere near as good as this one, despite being very expensive by comparison. Mitsubishi made some great monitors at the same time too...
The mistake most people seem to make is buying an LCD that is too big. In effect, they are sitting too close to the picture. In my small lounge, my 28" CRT (~26" visible) is about right. If you get closer, Freeview MPEG artefacts become apparent (though you can get closer when playing DVDs). I think that 32" might be OK with the better Freeview channels, and definitely DVDs, but then flicker will start to become an issue (100Hz CRT sets were universally terrible in my experience). The lack of flicker is an advantage with LCDs, and with larger screens - where more of it can be in your peripheral vision - benefit from flicker-free operation. But ironically, the flicker helps with motion portrayal. A few years back we bought some professional O-LED monitors that were very CRT-like, but everyone in the industry complained about the flicker. About 6 months later, Sony recalled them (FOC) to do an update which added a "flicker free" mode to address the complaints. But, the motion portrayal is worse in that mode. Can't win! But, in a monitor stack of 20 or 30 monitors, flicker is obviously a problem. Looking back, I don't know how I managed to sit in a TV gallery 20 years ago... I'm quite sensitive to flicker, and perhaps that's why I also notice problems with motion?
I guess I'll have to make the move one day, and perhaps 40" would be about right for HD. Shame it'll be too big for SD though. Though given that we're not big TV viewers, I'm hoping the CRTs will give us another decade at least
) to get the benefit. I forget the dot pitch, but it was certainly invisible to the naked eye when I got it 20 years ago (when my close-up vision was very sharp indeed). It's a Trinitron CRT, but the chassis is not made by Sony. The contemporary Sony monitors with identical CRTs were nowhere near as good as this one, despite being very expensive by comparison. Mitsubishi made some great monitors at the same time too...The mistake most people seem to make is buying an LCD that is too big. In effect, they are sitting too close to the picture. In my small lounge, my 28" CRT (~26" visible) is about right. If you get closer, Freeview MPEG artefacts become apparent (though you can get closer when playing DVDs). I think that 32" might be OK with the better Freeview channels, and definitely DVDs, but then flicker will start to become an issue (100Hz CRT sets were universally terrible in my experience). The lack of flicker is an advantage with LCDs, and with larger screens - where more of it can be in your peripheral vision - benefit from flicker-free operation. But ironically, the flicker helps with motion portrayal. A few years back we bought some professional O-LED monitors that were very CRT-like, but everyone in the industry complained about the flicker. About 6 months later, Sony recalled them (FOC) to do an update which added a "flicker free" mode to address the complaints. But, the motion portrayal is worse in that mode. Can't win! But, in a monitor stack of 20 or 30 monitors, flicker is obviously a problem. Looking back, I don't know how I managed to sit in a TV gallery 20 years ago... I'm quite sensitive to flicker, and perhaps that's why I also notice problems with motion?
I guess I'll have to make the move one day, and perhaps 40" would be about right for HD. Shame it'll be too big for SD though. Though given that we're not big TV viewers, I'm hoping the CRTs will give us another decade at least







