11-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Check this out https://electronaut.info/m97/ looks very nice, probably very pricey too. If you look on his site, he goes into quite a lot of technical detail about valve compressor design. There's also the diyaudio forum that has a lot of rack gear designs, there's a bloke on there in Norfolk who builds valved mixers etc who might be worth contacting.
For myself I use a BSS compressor/limiter/gate; does the job for far less cost. But then if I had a few spare thousand quid I'd certainly try one out.
What are you using the Altec for? I'm a bit suspicious of using valved gear to record music, but I know a lot of producers swear by valve preamps etc. If you want a warm triode sound with loads of 2nd harmonics it would be pretty easy to knock up a preamp with tone controls and use a direct coupled cathode follower to "warm" the sound up, maybe even use a White KF for OT- less connection. Again, lot's of info on diyaudio.
Andy.
For myself I use a BSS compressor/limiter/gate; does the job for far less cost. But then if I had a few spare thousand quid I'd certainly try one out.
What are you using the Altec for? I'm a bit suspicious of using valved gear to record music, but I know a lot of producers swear by valve preamps etc. If you want a warm triode sound with loads of 2nd harmonics it would be pretty easy to knock up a preamp with tone controls and use a direct coupled cathode follower to "warm" the sound up, maybe even use a White KF for OT- less connection. Again, lot's of info on diyaudio.
Andy.







