1. Partly off topic
In '72 I used to work on a Saturday in Windows hi fi section in Newcastle. A major attraction is that even as a 16 year old working one day per week (pay=£2.67) you got to buy anything in the store at cost price, which was generally a third off. For me that was mainly records and hi fi gear. Of course I could not afford those on the Windows pay alone - but I was a mercenary sort back then. So I worked lunchtimes as chemistry lab boy, worked on a Sunday labouring on a house restoration, and sad to say I pocketed my dinner money and went hungry. I was clearing a tenner a week, which was a lot of money in the very early 70's.
2. On topic
But my mum and dad wanted a colour television, which they funded and I bought at a discount. That was a Sony Trinitron, at my recommendation. It was great for a year or so, but the blue gun progressively died leaving the whole thing with a sickly greenish cast. I suspect that this was a known problem with early trinitrons, because the CRT was replaced FOC IIRC. Anyone have a recollection of that problem?
Craig
PS Mark Knopfler bought his first guitar from Windows ten years earlier; the first section of this is from precisely there https://youtu.be/27OT_FSWrIE for anyone interested
In '72 I used to work on a Saturday in Windows hi fi section in Newcastle. A major attraction is that even as a 16 year old working one day per week (pay=£2.67) you got to buy anything in the store at cost price, which was generally a third off. For me that was mainly records and hi fi gear. Of course I could not afford those on the Windows pay alone - but I was a mercenary sort back then. So I worked lunchtimes as chemistry lab boy, worked on a Sunday labouring on a house restoration, and sad to say I pocketed my dinner money and went hungry. I was clearing a tenner a week, which was a lot of money in the very early 70's.
2. On topic
But my mum and dad wanted a colour television, which they funded and I bought at a discount. That was a Sony Trinitron, at my recommendation. It was great for a year or so, but the blue gun progressively died leaving the whole thing with a sickly greenish cast. I suspect that this was a known problem with early trinitrons, because the CRT was replaced FOC IIRC. Anyone have a recollection of that problem?
Craig
PS Mark Knopfler bought his first guitar from Windows ten years earlier; the first section of this is from precisely there https://youtu.be/27OT_FSWrIE for anyone interested







