30-09-2016, 07:56 PM
(30-09-2016, 07:45 PM)Terry Wrote: I've been in hospital for a couple of weeks, so I've also been suffering from 'Forum Starvation'!
Hence this belated comment ...
(24-09-2016, 02:12 PM)Murphyv310 Wrote: Gone are the days when Ford made a commitment to the British worker and the British public bought a Ford because it was "British"
I lived in Grays, on the Thames near Tilbury, for the first 29 years of my life and Ford were a major employer in the area. I well remember the succession of strikes that took place at Dagenham at around the time I started work. But then, of course, Trevor never mentioned a commitment from the Ford worker ...
Frankly, I'm surprised that Dagenham remained open as long as it did, although there isn't much left there these days ...
Hi Terry.
Do you really think I'm not aware of the major industrial issues at Dagenham and so many UK car plants of the time?
Ford like BL had a terrible reputation but you cannot blame the workforce for all the issues. Management took big rises, they didn't invest in better plant and carried over outmoded engines and suspensions to new models. Ford especially had a couldn't care less attitude to the end user, inspired by their US attitude they fitted under-rated tyres and didn't fix a simple problem that could kill on one of the US pickup's.
Ford's attitude was $5M in law suits were cheaper than a re-call.
One reason I still won't and never will drive a Ford, you certainly cant blame the worker or the unions for that, in fact the Union actually did try to sort out some of Ford's mess to no avail!!!!!!!!!!!






