11-05-2011, 09:42 PM
(11-05-2011, 08:17 PM)ppppenguin Wrote: The best resource I know for price comparison over time is: http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/
It will give you several different methods of comparison and explanations of what you should use them for.
(11-05-2011, 08:17 PM)ppppenguin Wrote: The best resource I know for price comparison over time is: http://www.measuringworth.com/ukcompare/
It will give you several different methods of comparison and explanations of what you should use them for.
Thanks for that Jeffrey - interesting site. Current data is only available till 2009, so I checked what £100 in 1964 would equate to in 2009, and using that various indicators, some of which give widely differing results, the relative worth of £100 0s 0d from 1964 is:
£1,510.00 using the retail price index
£1,560.00 using the GDP deflator
£3,220.00 using the average earnings
£3,670.00 using the per capita GDP
£4,200.00 using the share of GDP
One thing I do know is that in the 60s and 70s, we had very little disposable income and had all the modern gizmos that we take for granted now, such as PCs, ink-jet/laser printers, calculators, flat screen remote controlled colour TVs, mobile phones, i-pods, digital cameras, and if we run a car, refinements which are now considrred fairly standard, such as aircon, power steering, heated rear windows, eelctric windows, remote central locking, would not have even been on the optional extras list!
But what we could have had back then - if we could afford it, was a wide range of excellent Heathkits, which is where we came in!
And yes, I also recall two levels of VAT - the higher one at 25% - I think it was in the early 80s, on certain goods, which as I recall, included amateur radio gear at the time.
Night night.
David







