08-08-2016, 10:06 AM
Yes, that "Gb" LED is only part of the story. Though wi-fi is much worse in this regard 
When I moved over to Gb networking, I was pleasantly impressed by the speed increase. Not necessarily the sustained transfer rates, but more things like browsing shared folders on other machines or the NAS box - it's barely any slower than browsing a local hard drive - especially useful when looking at big folders full of photos in "thumbnail" display mode. At work, I've only got 100 Mb/s to my desk (thanks to the switch in the VoIP phone) and it's noticeably slow by comparison. I think that with current devices, Gb is the "sweet spot", and will continue to be so for a good few years yet.
I have a set of Netgear powerline adaptors, and while I don't use them routinely, they didn't seem to affect radio reception for me. But then, reception around here isn't great. Too many switched-mode power supplies, etc, and too many neighbours with similar devices. HF ballasts in modern light fittings can be a problem - the HF fluorescent light here makes a 300V sine(ish!) wave at 100kHz (varies with the brightness setting), so that does a good job of wiping out LW - as does my computer monitor down here. Anecdotally, I'm not yet convinced that powerline adaptors are significantly worse than a cheap SMPSU - I must devise some proper experiments one day...

When I moved over to Gb networking, I was pleasantly impressed by the speed increase. Not necessarily the sustained transfer rates, but more things like browsing shared folders on other machines or the NAS box - it's barely any slower than browsing a local hard drive - especially useful when looking at big folders full of photos in "thumbnail" display mode. At work, I've only got 100 Mb/s to my desk (thanks to the switch in the VoIP phone) and it's noticeably slow by comparison. I think that with current devices, Gb is the "sweet spot", and will continue to be so for a good few years yet.
I have a set of Netgear powerline adaptors, and while I don't use them routinely, they didn't seem to affect radio reception for me. But then, reception around here isn't great. Too many switched-mode power supplies, etc, and too many neighbours with similar devices. HF ballasts in modern light fittings can be a problem - the HF fluorescent light here makes a 300V sine(ish!) wave at 100kHz (varies with the brightness setting), so that does a good job of wiping out LW - as does my computer monitor down here. Anecdotally, I'm not yet convinced that powerline adaptors are significantly worse than a cheap SMPSU - I must devise some proper experiments one day...







