29-07-2016, 01:18 PM
I've got a bunch of Fluke DVM's (And AVO 8's etc) and absolutely agree that the Flukes hold their calibration for an eternity. As do well cared for AVO 8's.
However, I needed two cheapish DVMs to measure heater voltage and current as part of a valve curve tracer project. I needed 0.1V to 100V ACV and 100mA to 10A ACI. I bought two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC97-Accurate-DIGITAL-LCD-VOLTMETER-MULTIMETER-WIDE-RANGE-TESTER-AMMETER-AC-DC-/321133117131 . Took the cases off, removed transistor test socket, thermocouple socket and input sockets. Hard wired the range switch to V and I with a transistor reset soldered in where the AC button was. Cut two rectangular holes in the chassis for the displays to poke through and I have autoranging ACV and ACI panel meters for a total of >£34. Accuracy is comparable to my Flukes - and amply accurate enough for the use.
Of course it had a fake CE mark, and allegedly is Cat II. This is of course absolute Chinese nonsense and for £17 each I expected precisely that, but it is much less of an issue when the guts are mounted inside an aluminium instrument case.
My advice for a pukka DVM, I'd wait around for a good Fluke to appear on eBay. 8060A's are a goodie if you can get one (lots in the US). Do not under any circumstances buy an alleged Fluke meter from either China or Hong Kong - they will be ripoffs with 100% certainty.
From my £17 meters here is a large amount of plastic, probes (rubbish quality), cardboard etc went straight in the recycling.
However, I needed two cheapish DVMs to measure heater voltage and current as part of a valve curve tracer project. I needed 0.1V to 100V ACV and 100mA to 10A ACI. I bought two of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VC97-Accurate-DIGITAL-LCD-VOLTMETER-MULTIMETER-WIDE-RANGE-TESTER-AMMETER-AC-DC-/321133117131 . Took the cases off, removed transistor test socket, thermocouple socket and input sockets. Hard wired the range switch to V and I with a transistor reset soldered in where the AC button was. Cut two rectangular holes in the chassis for the displays to poke through and I have autoranging ACV and ACI panel meters for a total of >£34. Accuracy is comparable to my Flukes - and amply accurate enough for the use.
Of course it had a fake CE mark, and allegedly is Cat II. This is of course absolute Chinese nonsense and for £17 each I expected precisely that, but it is much less of an issue when the guts are mounted inside an aluminium instrument case.
My advice for a pukka DVM, I'd wait around for a good Fluke to appear on eBay. 8060A's are a goodie if you can get one (lots in the US). Do not under any circumstances buy an alleged Fluke meter from either China or Hong Kong - they will be ripoffs with 100% certainty.
From my £17 meters here is a large amount of plastic, probes (rubbish quality), cardboard etc went straight in the recycling.







