21-05-2016, 08:48 PM
I had to Google FUD.
I don't wholly disagree with you, Nick. Of course old OSs either can't be patched against modern threats of there are so few users of them left that it wouldn't be worthwhile. I just wish that when new version came out the backwards compatibility was better. At the very least it should be difficult to implement some sort of 'Heritage Mode' where Apps are called "Programs" and the system feels the same to the user no matter what's changed under the hood.
I really can't see why David's Autoroute (which was a blast from the past when I read it) won't work on W10 but would on W7. OK, it's nine years old but I regularly use old DOS software from the 1980s under XP or Vista. That's one thing that would put me off a more modern version of Windows: it would odds-on be 64-bit so couldn't run 16-bit software. Yes, there are ways to do it with VMs or emulators but being able to double-click the .EXE file is much easier.
I don't think I'm worth hacking but a hacker would have to hack me to find that out by which time the harm is done.
As you say, we all make our own choices and must live with the consequences thereof — I can't say I wasn't warned.
— Joe
I don't wholly disagree with you, Nick. Of course old OSs either can't be patched against modern threats of there are so few users of them left that it wouldn't be worthwhile. I just wish that when new version came out the backwards compatibility was better. At the very least it should be difficult to implement some sort of 'Heritage Mode' where Apps are called "Programs" and the system feels the same to the user no matter what's changed under the hood.
I really can't see why David's Autoroute (which was a blast from the past when I read it) won't work on W10 but would on W7. OK, it's nine years old but I regularly use old DOS software from the 1980s under XP or Vista. That's one thing that would put me off a more modern version of Windows: it would odds-on be 64-bit so couldn't run 16-bit software. Yes, there are ways to do it with VMs or emulators but being able to double-click the .EXE file is much easier.
I don't think I'm worth hacking but a hacker would have to hack me to find that out by which time the harm is done.
As you say, we all make our own choices and must live with the consequences thereof — I can't say I wasn't warned.
— Joe






