01-05-2016, 11:21 AM
When I was at school, Duke & Co in Manor Park was a short trolleybus diversion away from my normal route home.
I remember buying a 3-band coil pack for 2/9 - complete with dial (which turned out to be paper, produced on a duplicator!)
I think he made a killing in 1958 when the law requiring cars to be equipped with two rear lights was introduced. He must have had a massive stock of government surplus lamps which not only appeared in the regular adverts in PW, etc., but were also advertised in the national press!
A bit further down the roaf was BENSALMON RADIO. I don't know if the missing space was accident or design but it was usually referred to as Bensa'mens.
Some wit there came up with the most extraordinary descriptions for items displayed in the windows and you could have a good laugh even if the shop was closed!
One I particularly remember was a B & L Coax plug - rated at 10,000A! Unfortunately, the Trade Descriptions Act, 1968 meant that descriptions returned to normal and, even after someone stumbled on get-out-of-jail word "allegedly", never put in a return appearance ...
I remember buying a 3-band coil pack for 2/9 - complete with dial (which turned out to be paper, produced on a duplicator!)
I think he made a killing in 1958 when the law requiring cars to be equipped with two rear lights was introduced. He must have had a massive stock of government surplus lamps which not only appeared in the regular adverts in PW, etc., but were also advertised in the national press!
A bit further down the roaf was BENSALMON RADIO. I don't know if the missing space was accident or design but it was usually referred to as Bensa'mens.
Some wit there came up with the most extraordinary descriptions for items displayed in the windows and you could have a good laugh even if the shop was closed!
One I particularly remember was a B & L Coax plug - rated at 10,000A! Unfortunately, the Trade Descriptions Act, 1968 meant that descriptions returned to normal and, even after someone stumbled on get-out-of-jail word "allegedly", never put in a return appearance ...






