18-03-2016, 10:44 AM
(17-03-2016, 08:34 PM)ppppenguin Wrote: Varifocals are great but they are not perfect. There's much more distortion of images towards you peripheral vision.
I pay, I think, £10 extra for my lenses (Specsavers) which gives a much wider field - in fact, as I type this, I can't see any peripheral distortion. Perhaps the severity depends on your prescription?
One thing that is important with varifocals, I found, is to make sure that you choose a frame which takes a large lens: I made the mistake with my first pair of choosing too small a lens size (and I didn't pay the £10 premium for the super-duper lenses, either!)
I don't know why but I went through a phase many years ago when people would often ask me why I wore glasses! My response was to take off my glasses and hand them to the enquirer and tell them to look at the clock or similar object through the right lens, as that was the eye with the worst astigmatism.
I then told them to rotate the lens through 90° ...
The reactions were varied and interesting. Mostly of surprise but more that one person told me it made them feel sick!






