17-03-2016, 09:42 AM
(This post was last modified: 17-03-2016, 09:43 AM by boater sam.
Edit Reason: Spelling
)
Only 180 Watts on dip Trevor and then they should not shine fully in front but to the nearside. You are right, there are situations where you are going to face oncoming headlamps. I was taught not to look directly at them but to the nearside where your own lights should be aimed. I also think it is an age thing too. As I get older and my eyes deteriorate I find bright light more intrusive, the same with my aging ears and loud music which I used to love.
But I would sooner see and be seen.
An aware driver will see an oncoming vehicle whilst his car is still pointing upward on the brow of a hill, the beams will not point down on the oncoming car until after the brow of the hill, ample time to dip if you are on full beam. We are assuming of course a sensible driver approaching with his lights on! The are still the numpties who are saving there bulbs for Christmas or the cyclops driver with one headlamp out. ( I do not include bikers here )
With increasing numbers of vehicles and the increase in speed of travel, we have to adapt to suit the conditions, it is still safer to maintain control of the vehicle by being aware of the road ahead rather than hoping the road goes where you think is should.
But I would sooner see and be seen.
An aware driver will see an oncoming vehicle whilst his car is still pointing upward on the brow of a hill, the beams will not point down on the oncoming car until after the brow of the hill, ample time to dip if you are on full beam. We are assuming of course a sensible driver approaching with his lights on! The are still the numpties who are saving there bulbs for Christmas or the cyclops driver with one headlamp out. ( I do not include bikers here )
With increasing numbers of vehicles and the increase in speed of travel, we have to adapt to suit the conditions, it is still safer to maintain control of the vehicle by being aware of the road ahead rather than hoping the road goes where you think is should.
Boater Sam.








