12-03-2016, 11:10 AM
I've just finished restoring one of these sets, its a heavy brute and on the face of it a bit complex. However, if you break it down into its stages , then it is no more complicated than other sets. As stated, it has an r.f. amplifier, an a.f.c. stage which operates on pre - tuned stations, and motorised tuning.
The motorised tuning consists of two motors, one to drive the tuning and selector mechanism and the 'cruise' control when on manual tune, The other motor drives the wave-change switch when on auto or manual tuning. Both motors have 'muting' switches which operate only when the motor is energised.
The main problem i had was trying to obtain good service information, the only diagram I could find had little detail of the switches and no under-chassis component layout.
My advice would be to concentrate on getting the set working on manual tuning first, then tackle the automatic tuning. I found it a good idea to insulate the motor 'mute' switches with a slip of folded paper, for if you have the chassis on its side to work on as I did, gravity operates the muting switch and spoils your fault finding logic !
The set works well on manual and auto tuning and I am amazed how good the operation of the a.f.c. is.
Shout if you need more help.
The motorised tuning consists of two motors, one to drive the tuning and selector mechanism and the 'cruise' control when on manual tune, The other motor drives the wave-change switch when on auto or manual tuning. Both motors have 'muting' switches which operate only when the motor is energised.
The main problem i had was trying to obtain good service information, the only diagram I could find had little detail of the switches and no under-chassis component layout.
My advice would be to concentrate on getting the set working on manual tuning first, then tackle the automatic tuning. I found it a good idea to insulate the motor 'mute' switches with a slip of folded paper, for if you have the chassis on its side to work on as I did, gravity operates the muting switch and spoils your fault finding logic !
The set works well on manual and auto tuning and I am amazed how good the operation of the a.f.c. is.
Shout if you need more help.






