08-03-2016, 11:32 AM
Hmmm. In the Street Light Cut-out the fuse was in a black housing secured with a meter seal - you wouldn't know if the fuse was there or not without breaking the seal.*
If MCBs have been added, I think the SLC would still be present, even if it only contains a shorting link!
* So how do I know this? When I first got involved with Cable TV, we suffered from a lot of blackouts. Although only about 12 miles from my house, I couldn't believe the number and frequency of power cuts in Tower Hamlets, particularly around the Isle of Dogs.
As you approached the area at night, the lack of street lights, etc., made the cause self evident but there were sometimes other reasons.
The London Electricity Board had problems in its accountancy department which would send out bills addressed to "Street cabinet corner of (name of street) and (name of street)" - I know, I've found a couple wedged in the crack around the cabinet door by some enterprising postman! Of course, the bills should have been sent to the company but the supply address and the billing address were reversed! All bills were settled promptly but, if the bill wasn't received and not spotted, the bill wasn't paid and the supply was cut off!
It was interesting that meter readers and the disconnect team had no problem getting into our cabinets but the guys who were summoned to restore service after some very angry phone calls did not! Consequently I had to hang around on several occasions, waiting for someone to turn up, break the seal, replace the fuse and reseal it ...
There was no history of this happening when I first joined the company, so it would appear to have been an error that crept in during a change to the LEB's accounting procedures that caused the address transposition.
If MCBs have been added, I think the SLC would still be present, even if it only contains a shorting link!
* So how do I know this? When I first got involved with Cable TV, we suffered from a lot of blackouts. Although only about 12 miles from my house, I couldn't believe the number and frequency of power cuts in Tower Hamlets, particularly around the Isle of Dogs.
As you approached the area at night, the lack of street lights, etc., made the cause self evident but there were sometimes other reasons.
The London Electricity Board had problems in its accountancy department which would send out bills addressed to "Street cabinet corner of (name of street) and (name of street)" - I know, I've found a couple wedged in the crack around the cabinet door by some enterprising postman! Of course, the bills should have been sent to the company but the supply address and the billing address were reversed! All bills were settled promptly but, if the bill wasn't received and not spotted, the bill wasn't paid and the supply was cut off!
It was interesting that meter readers and the disconnect team had no problem getting into our cabinets but the guys who were summoned to restore service after some very angry phone calls did not! Consequently I had to hang around on several occasions, waiting for someone to turn up, break the seal, replace the fuse and reseal it ...
There was no history of this happening when I first joined the company, so it would appear to have been an error that crept in during a change to the LEB's accounting procedures that caused the address transposition.






