05-02-2016, 11:39 PM
I have a relatively old Brennenstuhl PM230 - I think it came from Maplin, but possibly CPC. Example photo here:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brennenstuhl-P...1712204369
It's OK. I've not checked the accuracy against a DMM, but it's fine for indication. In terms of functionality, is sounds a lot like Hamid's - it does all the same measurements, and will keep a running total for energy cost display. Only "fail": plug in a device, and the lead obscures the buttons and display
I get the impression that these plug-in types are much of a muchness; they work well enough for basics. If you need more accuracy, then you need to step up to something like the Voltech PM100:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/vi...Id=7350504
I'd love one of these, but I believe that they've been out of production for a while, and you rarely see them come up s/h.
As a half-way house, my MDU with monitoring outputs works quite well. The metering isn't quite in the Fluke class, but the accurately scaled outputs on the BNCs can be hooked up to external meters when more accurate results are needed (saves messing about with mains wiring, etc). And of course, you can measure phase with a 'scope and calculate PF if the load current isn't too complex. Looking at the current waveform is incredibly useful if you do a lot of PSU work...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brennenstuhl-P...1712204369
It's OK. I've not checked the accuracy against a DMM, but it's fine for indication. In terms of functionality, is sounds a lot like Hamid's - it does all the same measurements, and will keep a running total for energy cost display. Only "fail": plug in a device, and the lead obscures the buttons and display

I get the impression that these plug-in types are much of a muchness; they work well enough for basics. If you need more accuracy, then you need to step up to something like the Voltech PM100:
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/vi...Id=7350504
I'd love one of these, but I believe that they've been out of production for a while, and you rarely see them come up s/h.
As a half-way house, my MDU with monitoring outputs works quite well. The metering isn't quite in the Fluke class, but the accurately scaled outputs on the BNCs can be hooked up to external meters when more accurate results are needed (saves messing about with mains wiring, etc). And of course, you can measure phase with a 'scope and calculate PF if the load current isn't too complex. Looking at the current waveform is incredibly useful if you do a lot of PSU work...







