22-01-2016, 12:20 PM
(This post was last modified: 22-01-2016, 12:32 PM by Radio Fixer.)
Well in principle it should be straight forward.
You have progs that only run on XP so you pay extra for a Win upgrade, the Pro version 7 in my case. This has software that creates an XP environment so that the progs run in it. This is a so called Virtual Machine (an XP operating system with all it s features, running inside the W7 operating system). And it worked, sort of, it was slow but manageable but as said I never got to be able to print anything out so no use really.
Since then I gave up on it and dumped all the legacy stuff, fortunately I had paper copy that I could scan. Amazingly the drawbacks of a MS feature create a market for someone to come up with better software; a better VM, as Jeffery has found.
" sometimes I think folks make life too complicated by messing about with stuff they now zilch about". Its was not about making life more complicated, in my case it was supposed to be a simplification. I should have been able to run the old Application, Edit it and then print it out. Easy peasy and not having to know that much about computers although I aint bad on them (used to be a programmer, teaches you lots, and quite big stuff 20K bytes in C equivalent). Now I have to take the scanned copy, modify it by 'whiting' bits out in a drawing package, creating replica symbols and selecting a near font and get something that will do...
Gary
You have progs that only run on XP so you pay extra for a Win upgrade, the Pro version 7 in my case. This has software that creates an XP environment so that the progs run in it. This is a so called Virtual Machine (an XP operating system with all it s features, running inside the W7 operating system). And it worked, sort of, it was slow but manageable but as said I never got to be able to print anything out so no use really.
Since then I gave up on it and dumped all the legacy stuff, fortunately I had paper copy that I could scan. Amazingly the drawbacks of a MS feature create a market for someone to come up with better software; a better VM, as Jeffery has found.
" sometimes I think folks make life too complicated by messing about with stuff they now zilch about". Its was not about making life more complicated, in my case it was supposed to be a simplification. I should have been able to run the old Application, Edit it and then print it out. Easy peasy and not having to know that much about computers although I aint bad on them (used to be a programmer, teaches you lots, and quite big stuff 20K bytes in C equivalent). Now I have to take the scanned copy, modify it by 'whiting' bits out in a drawing package, creating replica symbols and selecting a near font and get something that will do...
Gary







