22-10-2015, 12:03 PM
Yes Nick, it does seem from all reports that these units offer relief when connected, but don't effect any improvement in the underlying condition.
In my case, this has come upon me suddenly and I can only relate it to a fairly arduous walk on the N Yorks Moors a couple of months ago. Since that time we've done other walks and it's been really quite painful. The doc gave me anti-inflammatory tables for a month but that's had no effect. Been back to see him, have had X-rays on the knee, and he believes it's almost certainly osteoarthritis, but will wait to see the X-Rays first.
I'd rather hoped I'd just damaged the cartilage, but from the tests he's done, he says not. When I explained where the pain is, he homed in on the exact spot and applied pressure. He said he'll happily refer me to a specialist on condition that if he says I need an operation, that I'll go through with it, so I rather think an operation beckons. He says that surgeons are getting exasperated at the number of time-wasting patients they see, who - when they say 'you'll need an operation' - time and again respond by saying 'Oh I don't want an operation'. Ludicrous really - that's what surgeons do - carry out operations when necessary.
I'm not worried about having an operation if need be - my main concern is what limitations that might impose on physical activity into the future - kneeling, climbing ladders and steps, rambling, etc. I can do all those things now, but I'm allergic to pain! Most of the people I know who've had such operations are sedentary and didn't engage in such activities anyway so it was no hardship to them, but I'd rather act my shoe size than my age. (I know I'm an old buffer, 'cos my kids are getting old!
)
Anyone on here who's had a knee replacement/resurfacing who might care to comment on the outcome?
In my case, this has come upon me suddenly and I can only relate it to a fairly arduous walk on the N Yorks Moors a couple of months ago. Since that time we've done other walks and it's been really quite painful. The doc gave me anti-inflammatory tables for a month but that's had no effect. Been back to see him, have had X-rays on the knee, and he believes it's almost certainly osteoarthritis, but will wait to see the X-Rays first.
I'd rather hoped I'd just damaged the cartilage, but from the tests he's done, he says not. When I explained where the pain is, he homed in on the exact spot and applied pressure. He said he'll happily refer me to a specialist on condition that if he says I need an operation, that I'll go through with it, so I rather think an operation beckons. He says that surgeons are getting exasperated at the number of time-wasting patients they see, who - when they say 'you'll need an operation' - time and again respond by saying 'Oh I don't want an operation'. Ludicrous really - that's what surgeons do - carry out operations when necessary.
I'm not worried about having an operation if need be - my main concern is what limitations that might impose on physical activity into the future - kneeling, climbing ladders and steps, rambling, etc. I can do all those things now, but I'm allergic to pain! Most of the people I know who've had such operations are sedentary and didn't engage in such activities anyway so it was no hardship to them, but I'd rather act my shoe size than my age. (I know I'm an old buffer, 'cos my kids are getting old!
)Anyone on here who's had a knee replacement/resurfacing who might care to comment on the outcome?
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







