21-10-2015, 07:57 AM
Actually, the Flir unit in the original post does have its own sensor. In fact, there are 2 - one for IR and one for regular images (that's what their MSX technology relies on). Take another look at the picture - the Flir device is essentially a case for the iPhone - their sensors are in the centre, and the original Apple camera and flash LED is peeking through an aperture at the top-left.
Looking at the second one that you've found, this is a similar deal in a different case. I can't immediately see how this is connecting to the camera - my Android phone lacks any sort of connector on the bottom. I have the USB port on the side - perhaps that would do? But looking at the spec, it says this:
If correct, that wouldn't work with my phone. I'm not across the lightning connector - no idea how ubiquitous it is...
I've mixed feelings. I can appreciate the convenience and cost-saving, but knowing how fickle the phone market is, I somehow prefer the dedicated instrument. But they are very expensive if you don't have a specific and mission-critical need for them.
It would be interesting to experiment with removing the IR sensor from an old digital camera - that apparently gives good results, though calibration is naturally tricky
Looking at the second one that you've found, this is a similar deal in a different case. I can't immediately see how this is connecting to the camera - my Android phone lacks any sort of connector on the bottom. I have the USB port on the side - perhaps that would do? But looking at the spec, it says this:
Quote:Device compatibility: Apple products containing a lightning connector, including iPhone 6 and 6 plus, among others.
If correct, that wouldn't work with my phone. I'm not across the lightning connector - no idea how ubiquitous it is...
I've mixed feelings. I can appreciate the convenience and cost-saving, but knowing how fickle the phone market is, I somehow prefer the dedicated instrument. But they are very expensive if you don't have a specific and mission-critical need for them.
It would be interesting to experiment with removing the IR sensor from an old digital camera - that apparently gives good results, though calibration is naturally tricky







