10-10-2015, 10:38 AM
Thanks to everybody who has contributed, it really looks like an open and shut case!
The service interval is 12,500 miles or 12 months but I couldn't get my head round the need to at least change the oil at one twelfth of the maximum mileage when, as in this case, the time parameter is used. Thanks especially to Trevor for explaining that.
As for Jeffrey's £41 per annum breakdown cover, mine is provided as part of my bank account with Nationwide. This costs £10 per month but pays interest on the first £2,500 of balance which returns, after tax, ~£5 per month, so the actual cost is £60 p.a.
However, this not only provides breakdown assistance and recovery but also medical insurance for both of us and credit card protection.
There is no age restriction with the vehicle cover - no longer a problem but was with the previous 13 year old vehicle - and it includes European cover which is important to us.
The only problem with the breakdown cover when I needed it earlier this year was that the problem occurred in an underground car park - which I pointed out when I reported it. I got a call back apologising for the delay but they were having trouble find anyone locally who could get their tow truck through a 2m height restriction!
The chap who eventually turned up said he'd been told by his company that the vehicle had been down there before but he wasn't convinced that he wasn't going to lose all the flashing lights off the roof! With my eyes glued to his roof he proceeded gingerly down the ramp.
There was no problem at the top and everything looked good at the bottom but it was the centre of the roof that was the potential problem - in fact it did briefly scrape on the roof of the ramp - but otherwise everything was ok ...!
The service interval is 12,500 miles or 12 months but I couldn't get my head round the need to at least change the oil at one twelfth of the maximum mileage when, as in this case, the time parameter is used. Thanks especially to Trevor for explaining that.
As for Jeffrey's £41 per annum breakdown cover, mine is provided as part of my bank account with Nationwide. This costs £10 per month but pays interest on the first £2,500 of balance which returns, after tax, ~£5 per month, so the actual cost is £60 p.a.
However, this not only provides breakdown assistance and recovery but also medical insurance for both of us and credit card protection.
There is no age restriction with the vehicle cover - no longer a problem but was with the previous 13 year old vehicle - and it includes European cover which is important to us.
The only problem with the breakdown cover when I needed it earlier this year was that the problem occurred in an underground car park - which I pointed out when I reported it. I got a call back apologising for the delay but they were having trouble find anyone locally who could get their tow truck through a 2m height restriction!
The chap who eventually turned up said he'd been told by his company that the vehicle had been down there before but he wasn't convinced that he wasn't going to lose all the flashing lights off the roof! With my eyes glued to his roof he proceeded gingerly down the ramp.
There was no problem at the top and everything looked good at the bottom but it was the centre of the roof that was the potential problem - in fact it did briefly scrape on the roof of the ramp - but otherwise everything was ok ...!






