09-10-2015, 09:48 AM
I've been driving an 02 Focus 1.8 petrol for the past 8 years.
Recently the clutch started slipping. The alternator had to be replaced earlier this year, a radiator hose went last year, the clutch master slave cylinder before that and I've been told the sump housing is badly corroded. Also it has 115,000 on the clock - it was around 75,000 when I bought it ex lease.
So, I thought it time to call it a day ...
I am now the proud owner of a 61 reg Focus Estate 1.6 petrol. It was a bit of a culture shock at first because it is an automatic and, before I took it for a test drive, I'd never driven one before! I thought I'd have to tie a hefty weight to my left angle until I got used to it but, on a reasonably long run on a variety of roads yesterday, my left foot only came off the floor three times!
Now for the problem: it hasn't been serviced since January 2014. It has an MOT until October 2016 and I usually time the annual service to be done immediately before the MOT.
But, if I wait until next October it will be nearly three years since the previous service, so what do I do?
As you may have guessed by now, this isn't the no brainer that it might appear - because it only has 3,000 miles on the clock!
It is ex-Motability and spent its life in South Yorkshire/Derbyshire, judging by the radio presets for Radio Hallam and BBC Sheffield and it was serviced in Chesterfield but it obviously didn't go far!
The record goes like this: first registered 12/11; service 12/12 @ 1063 miles, second service 01/14 @ 1976 miles then MOT 10/14 @ 2528 miles. Signed off by Motability 08/15 then MOT 09/15 @ 2979 miles.
It turned 3000 miles on our way home with it on Tuesday!
My annual mileage is only ~5000 these days so, in a years time it will still only have done ~8000 miles.
So, what does the team think?
Recently the clutch started slipping. The alternator had to be replaced earlier this year, a radiator hose went last year, the clutch master slave cylinder before that and I've been told the sump housing is badly corroded. Also it has 115,000 on the clock - it was around 75,000 when I bought it ex lease.
So, I thought it time to call it a day ...
I am now the proud owner of a 61 reg Focus Estate 1.6 petrol. It was a bit of a culture shock at first because it is an automatic and, before I took it for a test drive, I'd never driven one before! I thought I'd have to tie a hefty weight to my left angle until I got used to it but, on a reasonably long run on a variety of roads yesterday, my left foot only came off the floor three times!
Now for the problem: it hasn't been serviced since January 2014. It has an MOT until October 2016 and I usually time the annual service to be done immediately before the MOT.
But, if I wait until next October it will be nearly three years since the previous service, so what do I do?
As you may have guessed by now, this isn't the no brainer that it might appear - because it only has 3,000 miles on the clock!
It is ex-Motability and spent its life in South Yorkshire/Derbyshire, judging by the radio presets for Radio Hallam and BBC Sheffield and it was serviced in Chesterfield but it obviously didn't go far!
The record goes like this: first registered 12/11; service 12/12 @ 1063 miles, second service 01/14 @ 1976 miles then MOT 10/14 @ 2528 miles. Signed off by Motability 08/15 then MOT 09/15 @ 2979 miles.
It turned 3000 miles on our way home with it on Tuesday!
My annual mileage is only ~5000 these days so, in a years time it will still only have done ~8000 miles.
So, what does the team think?






