27-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Hi Gents, as the software resides in the ECU, and these are not normally manufactured by the car company themselves, it looks like the original idea cam from the likes of Bosh et al; then presumably sold to all the major manufacturers as an "improvement". There would, of course, have been complicity by the motor manufacturers.
Looking at the bigger picture, I suspect that the standards may have been set so tight that they were not achievable on a vehicle that would give a sensible MPG or performance figure.
In a previous life I worked with civil servants and their masters; it was not unknown for totally unrealistic specs to be dreamt up and published by people who had little knowledge of the systems to which the specs apply; they were also difficult people to get to see common sense/ error of their thought process.
Various figures have been put out about the "appalling" increase in death rates due to this software fix. I believe a figure of 27,000 was quoted in the US.
I would really like to know where this figure has come from, and if true, why have alarm bells not been loudly ringing at the spike on the death statistics.
BUT, I'm only an Engineer who likes to deal in facts not fables.
Would the great motoring public make the choice between cleaner cars or poorer performance given the choice?
I'm sure Messrs Clarkson et al could make a good programme out of it!!
Ed
Looking at the bigger picture, I suspect that the standards may have been set so tight that they were not achievable on a vehicle that would give a sensible MPG or performance figure.
In a previous life I worked with civil servants and their masters; it was not unknown for totally unrealistic specs to be dreamt up and published by people who had little knowledge of the systems to which the specs apply; they were also difficult people to get to see common sense/ error of their thought process.
Various figures have been put out about the "appalling" increase in death rates due to this software fix. I believe a figure of 27,000 was quoted in the US.
I would really like to know where this figure has come from, and if true, why have alarm bells not been loudly ringing at the spike on the death statistics.
BUT, I'm only an Engineer who likes to deal in facts not fables.
Would the great motoring public make the choice between cleaner cars or poorer performance given the choice?
I'm sure Messrs Clarkson et al could make a good programme out of it!!
Ed







