23-09-2015, 01:06 PM
We're all different in both needs and attitudes. I don't USE a computer very much at all but PLAY with them a lot. If I needed something to run a business with it would be an entirely different thing. As well as my natural Yorkshire tight-fistedness up-grading doesn't pass my own cost/benefit analysis.
That said I was seriously tempted by some lap-tops Aldi had a few weeks ago. Had I not got them coming out of my ears I'd have yielded.
Besides money I like to stick to what I know. I'm not saying anything against Windows 7 but from the little I've had to do with it it's different enough to Vista and XP to cause puzzlement. Oddly I seem to get on with Linux as that's so different that you don't think you know what you're doing and find you don't.
As for speed, I can't help but think What's the rush? A Word document opening instantly compared to after a delay of two or three seconds isn't worth 150 pence never-mind pounds. Then there's internet speeds. I'm officially on 50Mb/s and on Ethernet I actually get slightly more than that. On wi-fi I'm lucky to get twenty. It's still plenty fast enough for me so I don't worry about it; it's certainly far better than dial-up.
The same goes for music. I completely accept that MP3 and DAB are worse quality than CD and FM but they still both sound great when compared to cassettes — or, as was often the case in my youth, tapes of tapes of somebody's record, all recordings made on poor equipment — and drifting, interference-riddled MW.
When it comes to spares I'm convinced my optical drives are breading.
— Joe
That said I was seriously tempted by some lap-tops Aldi had a few weeks ago. Had I not got them coming out of my ears I'd have yielded.
Besides money I like to stick to what I know. I'm not saying anything against Windows 7 but from the little I've had to do with it it's different enough to Vista and XP to cause puzzlement. Oddly I seem to get on with Linux as that's so different that you don't think you know what you're doing and find you don't.
As for speed, I can't help but think What's the rush? A Word document opening instantly compared to after a delay of two or three seconds isn't worth 150 pence never-mind pounds. Then there's internet speeds. I'm officially on 50Mb/s and on Ethernet I actually get slightly more than that. On wi-fi I'm lucky to get twenty. It's still plenty fast enough for me so I don't worry about it; it's certainly far better than dial-up.
The same goes for music. I completely accept that MP3 and DAB are worse quality than CD and FM but they still both sound great when compared to cassettes — or, as was often the case in my youth, tapes of tapes of somebody's record, all recordings made on poor equipment — and drifting, interference-riddled MW.
When it comes to spares I'm convinced my optical drives are breading.
— Joe






