23-09-2015, 09:11 AM
(23-09-2015, 07:47 AM)Yorkie Wrote: From what you say Dave, for a timing application you don't simply need pulleys and belting, but toothed pulleys and toothed belting to match.
Hello David,
Thanks for your reply. Yes, that's exactly for what I've been looking.
Quote:The belting that Alan mentioned is very commonplace for such things as lathes - I use it on my small Lorch-Schmidt watchmakers' lathe. It's cheap, and as Alan says, you just cut it to length, heat the ends (I use a heated blade of a wallpaper scraper held in a vice), and press the ends together.
No, that wouldn't do.
Quote:However, for a timing application, which is critical, it's a different matter altogether - we know what the consequences of a failed timing belt in a car engine are - it writes the engine off.
Indeed!
Quote:There are firms who will supply the belting that you need, and the toothed pulleys, but the pulleys are very expensive - EG: two pulleys and a belt will set you back about £100.
You don't say what application you need the pulleys and belts for or what your budget is, but I dare say this goes beyond the limit.
That's way above my budget!
Quote:You don't say what application you need the pulleys and belts for or what your budget is,
Anyway, for what it's worth, you might like to see if these are the sort of items you're searching for. The tooth pitch is 1.5mm, the belt width is 3mm:
That sounds like what I'm after but after a quick look at the link you gave, it seems that they don't have any ten-toothed pulleys and the prices of the ones I did see were higher than others I've seen.
I intend to make a T-Bar video fader, with these, the lever has a travel of between about 60 and 90 degrees, so the pulleys required would depend on that travel, and the travel of a standard pot, which is about 270 degrees.
For 90 degrees, it would be a ratio of 3:1 and for 60 degrees it would be a ratio of 4.5:1 (equiv: 45:10).
Quote:the number on the pulley coding represents the number of teeth - for example, P48 = 48 teeth.
Yes, I had gathered that!
Quote:(If that's no good, try a google search for 'toothed timing pulleys and belts' - that's how I found them).
I had been using only 'timing pulleys', so I'll give your suggestion a try and see what comes up.
Quote:Good luck in your quest.
Thanks.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alan,
Thanks for the link. It seems that I have to get their catalogue before I can see if they have anything that will do, they don't appear to list any details for them on their site.
Regards,
Dave.







