The same thought had occurred to me as soon as those machines were offered. The financial cost could work out even lower as it's surprising what obsolete PC bits fetch on e-Bay.
A couple of years ago I'd got a surplus 900MHz Duron. I couldn't get 99p for it as a PC but got about eight quid for the PSU and fifteen for the motherboard. It also gave me a spare CD drive and DIMMs; the hard disk was up the spout which is why I scrapped it.
A 500MHz Celeron and a 60MHz Pentium were disposed of in the same way and there have been other old motherboards besides.
Remote fault-finding is hard enough with things like radios but with complex things like computers with apparent multiple faults is darn-near impossible.
— Joe
A couple of years ago I'd got a surplus 900MHz Duron. I couldn't get 99p for it as a PC but got about eight quid for the PSU and fifteen for the motherboard. It also gave me a spare CD drive and DIMMs; the hard disk was up the spout which is why I scrapped it.
A 500MHz Celeron and a 60MHz Pentium were disposed of in the same way and there have been other old motherboards besides.
Remote fault-finding is hard enough with things like radios but with complex things like computers with apparent multiple faults is darn-near impossible.
— Joe






