17-09-2015, 05:15 PM
(This post was last modified: 17-09-2015, 05:20 PM by SurreyNick.)
Thanks for the link to ludens.cl, I have had a quick scan and will come back to it.
I appreciate your help Mark and I can assure you, you can't go simple enough for this dunderhead. I can be slow on the uptake, particularly when trying to pick something up from written explanations only, and so I prefer to be treated as a dunce and have things explained repeatedly, step-by-step than have someone assume I know what they're talking about
I will try and grasp what you're telling me in the morning when my mind is freshest. In the meantime looking at this transformer I am wondering if winding 1 and 2 are, in fact, just one winding with 7 taps.
I have spotted this Philips power transformer on eBay (see pics) and looking closely it also accommodates the same six voltages as mine. It uses a voltage selector to do this, the same as that shown in pics 3,4, and 5 attached. Forgive me if you are already familiar with these selectors, but it has seven pins of which I assume the centre one is for incoming mains live. By rotating a circular bridge this live in can be connected to one of the remaining six taps, which each correspond to one of the six possible voltages.
Looking very closely at the left side of the transformer in pics 1 and 2 I think all the taps on this side of the transformer relate to one winding i.e. are all to do with voltage selection. The grey wire with a yellow sleeve on it doesn't connect to the voltage selector and could be mains neutral at one end of the winding. Of the 7 wires connected to the selector; red, green and yellow clearly go to outside pins of the voltage selector and connect to taps on this side of the transformer. Blue, black and what I assume is brown and another grey are also connected to the voltage selector with blue, brown and black appearing to go to the other taps on the same end, but opposite side, of the transformer. The grey wire looks like it could be connected to the centre pin of the voltage selector and therefore be live in.
If I'm right and I can work out which are the taps at the start and end of this winding on my transformer it should be relatively easy to establish which taps are for 100, 125, 145, 200, 220 and 245v and at the same time calculate the voltages on the other windings.
Do you agree?
Nick
I appreciate your help Mark and I can assure you, you can't go simple enough for this dunderhead. I can be slow on the uptake, particularly when trying to pick something up from written explanations only, and so I prefer to be treated as a dunce and have things explained repeatedly, step-by-step than have someone assume I know what they're talking about

I will try and grasp what you're telling me in the morning when my mind is freshest. In the meantime looking at this transformer I am wondering if winding 1 and 2 are, in fact, just one winding with 7 taps.
I have spotted this Philips power transformer on eBay (see pics) and looking closely it also accommodates the same six voltages as mine. It uses a voltage selector to do this, the same as that shown in pics 3,4, and 5 attached. Forgive me if you are already familiar with these selectors, but it has seven pins of which I assume the centre one is for incoming mains live. By rotating a circular bridge this live in can be connected to one of the remaining six taps, which each correspond to one of the six possible voltages.
Looking very closely at the left side of the transformer in pics 1 and 2 I think all the taps on this side of the transformer relate to one winding i.e. are all to do with voltage selection. The grey wire with a yellow sleeve on it doesn't connect to the voltage selector and could be mains neutral at one end of the winding. Of the 7 wires connected to the selector; red, green and yellow clearly go to outside pins of the voltage selector and connect to taps on this side of the transformer. Blue, black and what I assume is brown and another grey are also connected to the voltage selector with blue, brown and black appearing to go to the other taps on the same end, but opposite side, of the transformer. The grey wire looks like it could be connected to the centre pin of the voltage selector and therefore be live in.
If I'm right and I can work out which are the taps at the start and end of this winding on my transformer it should be relatively easy to establish which taps are for 100, 125, 145, 200, 220 and 245v and at the same time calculate the voltages on the other windings.
Do you agree?
Nick







