16-09-2015, 12:48 PM
(This post was last modified: 16-09-2015, 01:03 PM by SurreyNick.
Edit Reason: Additional explanation
)
I think you should edit the initial post Mark, or at the very least add a footnote to it. I would hate to think someone might just read the first few posts and then whack 240v into the winding of a transformer. No, my conscience can't take that.
I started off putting just 1 volt in using my transformer ratio meter. It's the one I featured on this forum a little while ago and it has a nice and sensitive 0-3v range, as well as 0-10v, o-30 and 0-100v. Ideal for this sort of work. Anyhow, at 1v I took what readings I could and then increased at 5v increments until I got readings on all windings. I was very careful not to touch the high voltage winding (winding 3) after testing it with 5v going into the transformer. In fact, I put silicone tubing over its taps once I got to 10v as I was terrified of touching it while I was taking readings off winding 4 which is adjacent to it and I'm very pleased I did because I had to get up to 40v going in before I got a decent reading off that winding. There would have been easily enough voltage to have killed me if I had touched winding 3 at that point.
I also ALWAYS have an RCD adapter connected when working with live mains.
Thanks
Nick
I started off putting just 1 volt in using my transformer ratio meter. It's the one I featured on this forum a little while ago and it has a nice and sensitive 0-3v range, as well as 0-10v, o-30 and 0-100v. Ideal for this sort of work. Anyhow, at 1v I took what readings I could and then increased at 5v increments until I got readings on all windings. I was very careful not to touch the high voltage winding (winding 3) after testing it with 5v going into the transformer. In fact, I put silicone tubing over its taps once I got to 10v as I was terrified of touching it while I was taking readings off winding 4 which is adjacent to it and I'm very pleased I did because I had to get up to 40v going in before I got a decent reading off that winding. There would have been easily enough voltage to have killed me if I had touched winding 3 at that point.
I also ALWAYS have an RCD adapter connected when working with live mains.
Thanks
Nick







