15-06-2015, 10:05 PM
Thank you Mark, I shall keep that in mind.
I sent the following PM to Lawrence in reply to his enquiry about the three-valve TRF
Hi Lawrence
The three-valve TRF was based upon FJ Camm's book; A Beginner's Guide To Radio, of which I have a first edition. I wanted to see if, in practice, the receiver could actually be built by following his direction and how well it would work. It could be built, but only in a manner of speaking. Numerous inconsistencies and omissions in the book rendered it difficult, if not impossible, to construct the fully evolved iteration he described. But I got as close to the complete thing as I could decipher and that's what I set out to construct using original 1920s and 1930s components. The only exception I allowed myself was using a wound coil rather than just two coiled loops of wire for the tuning and reaction coils and a custom-made breadboard cabinet with the components on show. Other than that, all the components were as specified by him and took quite a while to track down.
As for the coil I used modern acrylic instead of shellac coated cardboard for the coil but other than that the design is based on one of Camm's from his book Wireless Coils, Chokes and Transformers.
I will get around to building it one day.
Nick
I sent the following PM to Lawrence in reply to his enquiry about the three-valve TRF
Hi Lawrence
The three-valve TRF was based upon FJ Camm's book; A Beginner's Guide To Radio, of which I have a first edition. I wanted to see if, in practice, the receiver could actually be built by following his direction and how well it would work. It could be built, but only in a manner of speaking. Numerous inconsistencies and omissions in the book rendered it difficult, if not impossible, to construct the fully evolved iteration he described. But I got as close to the complete thing as I could decipher and that's what I set out to construct using original 1920s and 1930s components. The only exception I allowed myself was using a wound coil rather than just two coiled loops of wire for the tuning and reaction coils and a custom-made breadboard cabinet with the components on show. Other than that, all the components were as specified by him and took quite a while to track down.
As for the coil I used modern acrylic instead of shellac coated cardboard for the coil but other than that the design is based on one of Camm's from his book Wireless Coils, Chokes and Transformers.
I will get around to building it one day.
Nick







