03-01-2015, 07:12 PM
(03-01-2015, 05:48 PM)Bushbaby Wrote: Impractical may have been a bit harsh . . .
Not necessarily: the degree of 'impracticality' of any device is clearly related to what an individual wishes to use that device for. In your case - and guessing your needs - I suspect the word 'overkill' might be more appropriate.
(03-01-2015, 05:48 PM)Bushbaby Wrote: . . .big and heavy is very true . .
The main cause of substantial weight in any quality sig. gen. is largely contributed by the extensive internal screening that is necessary. A quality S.G. (read: accurate measurements) will be heavy: it's unavoidable. Now I wouldn't stake my reputation on this, (FWIW), but I reckon that the HP 8640B sig. gen. is a lot heavier. Moreover, it's a lot easier to operate, (IMHO, Marconi were very fond of their quirky front panel controls), and the HP has a much wider freq. range. Just a pity about the common disintegration of the Delrin gearing . . . but that's another matter for another thread.
Al.






