26-12-2014, 09:42 PM
(26-12-2014, 08:26 PM)Mark Hennessy Wrote: Hi John,
Thanks for the positive feedback - it is appreciated :-)
It is tough to find the time to write articles like that. Because they are less "ephemeral" that a forum posting, I like to take a bit of time to structure and research them properly. Engines like Google and The Internet Archive seem to quite like my site, so again, I feel it's worth going the extra mile where I can. The downside of being rigorous is that my output is low...
Anyway, I would definitely like to write more articles, and definitely some detailing Hacker radios. If I had the time, I'd open up an entire section devoted to them - complete history, lots of images, etc. Maybe one day. And maybe Roberts as well. But in the meantime, any suggestions?
I'm thinking about a couple:
1. An article about the amplifier PCBs, along with common faults and how to fix them. That ties in neatly with what you suggest.
2. An article detailing the history of the Hacker Hunter. I've been running a research project on UKVRRR, and have gathered a lot of useful data now. This, in theory at least, would be an easy one to do.
Any other suggestions gratefully received.
All the best,
Mark
From my perspective there is certainly need for more vintage transistor radio information. I speak as a novice and I often search the WWW for references to Hacker (in particular) radios. There isn't too much out there so I for one would be grateful if you passed on some of your obvious knowledge and enthusiasm for the sets. There is lots of information specific to valve radios both on the 'net and in books such as those published by Tony.
Suggestion 1 sounds perfect and would be just the kind of thing I would try to read and understand and again with suggestion 2, I can understand why and would think it sensible that having gathered so much Hunter info' you would like to write a history of the model. My own preference is for the Sov'n (I andII) because they are just so well built, but that's just my bias
.General articles on fault tracing and restoration bearing beginners in mind covering such areas as typical faults, why they prevent or impair the performance of the set and how to diagnose/trace them using basic equipment would be really useful.
I suppose what I'm really asking for is for you to write the definitive book on how to repair and restore quality British transistor radios
I'll order my copy now please
Regards, John.







