13-08-2014, 10:31 AM
I assume you've cleaned the laser?
What happens after the first minute or two? Does it skip? If so, you might need to clean and re-grease the sled rails.
I wouldn't have thought that the 7809 could be supplying the 7808, as 78xx regulators have a higher dropout voltage than 1V. I think we need to see official schematics for this one...
It's definitely worth trying it from a decent bench PSU first. But if the CD player has been used most days for 10 years, then it's probably time to move on. Despite the clever marketing, these products were built to a price like everything, and 10 years ain't bad really.
That said, the laser assembly might be available for a reasonable price. A couple of years back someone brought me a Tesco special to look at - naturally I assumed that it would be fit for the bin, but it turns out that CPC sold the whole mechanism for about £5. Yes, just five pounds! Astonishing...
What happens after the first minute or two? Does it skip? If so, you might need to clean and re-grease the sled rails.
I wouldn't have thought that the 7809 could be supplying the 7808, as 78xx regulators have a higher dropout voltage than 1V. I think we need to see official schematics for this one...
It's definitely worth trying it from a decent bench PSU first. But if the CD player has been used most days for 10 years, then it's probably time to move on. Despite the clever marketing, these products were built to a price like everything, and 10 years ain't bad really.
That said, the laser assembly might be available for a reasonable price. A couple of years back someone brought me a Tesco special to look at - naturally I assumed that it would be fit for the bin, but it turns out that CPC sold the whole mechanism for about £5. Yes, just five pounds! Astonishing...







