The knobs do indeed pull off, but I’d think the only way you’d get them off is with the two loops of string approach – one slipped over the shaft and behind the knobs from the left – the other from the right, then gently pull. That way, the string is in contact with the rear of the knob in four places. On some radios you can get a screwdriver behind the glass to lever the knob off without coming into contact with the glass, but the knobs on the Figaro don’t protrude fare enough at the rear to be able to do that. Other than to change the switch or pot I can’t see any reason to remove the knob, and there’s also a risk that you may damage the DM70 magic eye behind the dial.(You don’t of course need to take the knobs off to get the chassis out – it’s just held in complete with the dial glass by two screws, which allows the whole chassis and dial to be withdrawn). The auto-transformer looks well up to the task and barely gets warm in use.
Some interesting design features – and auto-transformer rather than mains dropper to keep the heat down to a minimum (why didn’t Bush to that on the DAC90/90A? – they’re supposed to be radios – not electric fires!). A ferrite rod for LW/MW and an external aerial for the short wave band. Physically large valves packed into a small set, (why not smaller valves, given that they were well established and in abundance in the Eastern Block back in the late 50s?). Valve count reduced to just three by using the usual triode/pentode frequency changer, then a double diode pentode for detection, AVC and IF amplification, a triode pentode for AF amplification and a contact cooled rectifier rather than a valve.
I suppose the nearest parallel with a British set of that era would be the Pye R33 – another nice little set with some similarities to the Figaro (3 valves + Contact cooled rectifier, and an auto transformer, but no magic eye and no short wave, though the R33 uses smaller B9A valves and is a printed circuit design).
The Polish designer – Marcin Kasprzak was given a design brief ‘from the highest authorities’ to design a cheap popular, modern, efficient radio to meet a 3-month deadline in the autumn of 1958 ‘in accordance to celebrate the reunion’. (Which reunion in 1958 I know not). It took another year to get into full mass production. I bought the Maroon and cream Bakelite cabinet version at the NVCF last year in very nice condition. I think they were in production for some years and clearly made for the export market as well as the home market, in that the rear panel on mine has all the text in English and is for 220/240V, which on mine is achieved by moving the mains fuse from one position to another.
There was a wooden cabinet version for sale at the Rufforth (York) Autojumble last month is nice condition but with the usual wave-change knob problem. It looked complete and unmolested so I offered the guy £15.00, which he didn’t accept so I passed on it. If he’s there again with it on 7 June I’ll offer him £10.00 to lower his expectations and see if he’ll accept £15.00. I only buy small radios these days, and am choosy as to what I buy and how much I pay.
My Figaro is nicely built and works well. I think it's a pretty little set and a credit to its designer.
Best of luck with your Figaro.
Some interesting design features – and auto-transformer rather than mains dropper to keep the heat down to a minimum (why didn’t Bush to that on the DAC90/90A? – they’re supposed to be radios – not electric fires!). A ferrite rod for LW/MW and an external aerial for the short wave band. Physically large valves packed into a small set, (why not smaller valves, given that they were well established and in abundance in the Eastern Block back in the late 50s?). Valve count reduced to just three by using the usual triode/pentode frequency changer, then a double diode pentode for detection, AVC and IF amplification, a triode pentode for AF amplification and a contact cooled rectifier rather than a valve.
I suppose the nearest parallel with a British set of that era would be the Pye R33 – another nice little set with some similarities to the Figaro (3 valves + Contact cooled rectifier, and an auto transformer, but no magic eye and no short wave, though the R33 uses smaller B9A valves and is a printed circuit design).
The Polish designer – Marcin Kasprzak was given a design brief ‘from the highest authorities’ to design a cheap popular, modern, efficient radio to meet a 3-month deadline in the autumn of 1958 ‘in accordance to celebrate the reunion’. (Which reunion in 1958 I know not). It took another year to get into full mass production. I bought the Maroon and cream Bakelite cabinet version at the NVCF last year in very nice condition. I think they were in production for some years and clearly made for the export market as well as the home market, in that the rear panel on mine has all the text in English and is for 220/240V, which on mine is achieved by moving the mains fuse from one position to another.
There was a wooden cabinet version for sale at the Rufforth (York) Autojumble last month is nice condition but with the usual wave-change knob problem. It looked complete and unmolested so I offered the guy £15.00, which he didn’t accept so I passed on it. If he’s there again with it on 7 June I’ll offer him £10.00 to lower his expectations and see if he’ll accept £15.00. I only buy small radios these days, and am choosy as to what I buy and how much I pay.
My Figaro is nicely built and works well. I think it's a pretty little set and a credit to its designer.
Best of luck with your Figaro.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







