22-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi gents, possibly not connected, but a problem I recently experienced on my Mondeo 2L. It was totally dead except for the dreaded EMS warning and then suggesting system failure in the immobiliser. It was towed to our local auto electrician who does most of the difficult ones for the main dealers. It would not even communicate with his diagnostic tools. He therefor got his voltmeter out and traced iy to the main feed to the immobiliser. 6" of wire had turned green crud. He is seeing a lot of this on all sorts and ages of cars, including mine at 2 years old.
In my professional capacity I recently sent a salesman away with a flea in his ear after he tried to sell me a new version of cable at low cost as it is only single coated with insulation "of a superior grade", which all the car manufacturers now use and has all sorts of approvals.
NOT on an aircraft for which I have responsibility!
I wrote about this to Car Mechanics and got the star letter prize, nice but I would rather have had a car that had wiring without pin holes (hence 2 layers of insulation). Normally this does not matter too much, but on a harness in a wet area (under a wing etc), and with power constantly applied (live feed) electrolysis soon takes its toll.
Ed
In my professional capacity I recently sent a salesman away with a flea in his ear after he tried to sell me a new version of cable at low cost as it is only single coated with insulation "of a superior grade", which all the car manufacturers now use and has all sorts of approvals.
NOT on an aircraft for which I have responsibility!
I wrote about this to Car Mechanics and got the star letter prize, nice but I would rather have had a car that had wiring without pin holes (hence 2 layers of insulation). Normally this does not matter too much, but on a harness in a wet area (under a wing etc), and with power constantly applied (live feed) electrolysis soon takes its toll.
Ed







