24-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
Neat way to remember the 'X' & 'Y' caps Lawrence - as with the axis of scopes etc.
Re the cabinet Alan, as it's 20 inches wide I'll probably have to veneer the front with two pieces, with the grain (such that it is with sapele), book-matched. At least it's not a very exotic veneer such as burr walnut etc.
I can see the appeal of Murphy sets to those who eulogise over them. They made some very attractive 'art deco' woodies and I regret not buying an A146 'baffle set' a couple of years ago at Cowbit, which aroused little interest and went for a fiver, but they're quite large floor-standing sets, which is why I didn't bid.
There's an excellent well written, well illustrated 85-page write-up about Murphy sets from the 1930s - 1950s at this link - the A146 is on page 79:
http://www.murphy-radio.co.uk/diagrams/M...io_Russell&Minns_1930-1950.pdf
In the early 1970s we had one of those white Murphy TVs on a chrome pedestal which were the height of fashion for a while (as were flared trousers!) but then went out of style.
Neat way to remember the 'X' & 'Y' caps Lawrence - as with the axis of scopes etc.
Re the cabinet Alan, as it's 20 inches wide I'll probably have to veneer the front with two pieces, with the grain (such that it is with sapele), book-matched. At least it's not a very exotic veneer such as burr walnut etc.
I can see the appeal of Murphy sets to those who eulogise over them. They made some very attractive 'art deco' woodies and I regret not buying an A146 'baffle set' a couple of years ago at Cowbit, which aroused little interest and went for a fiver, but they're quite large floor-standing sets, which is why I didn't bid.
There's an excellent well written, well illustrated 85-page write-up about Murphy sets from the 1930s - 1950s at this link - the A146 is on page 79:
http://www.murphy-radio.co.uk/diagrams/M...io_Russell&Minns_1930-1950.pdf
In the early 1970s we had one of those white Murphy TVs on a chrome pedestal which were the height of fashion for a while (as were flared trousers!) but then went out of style.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







