(09-03-2014, 08:24 PM)AlanBeckett Wrote: Seriously, it all depends on what you want to do with it and what you expect from it by way of accuracy, purity and facilities.
I've got an hp 8640B and an Anritsu Spectrum analyser if required, but it ain't very often.
Alan
I'd be seriously restricted in my interests if I lost my HP 8640B. But then I am a 'dyed-in-the-wool' R.F. man.
As far as reliability (etc.) of the 8640B is concerned, the one area that does cause headaches is the nylon gearing that is used between some of the front panel rotary switches and the internal controls: the bushes that secure the gears to their respective shafts have a nasty habit of fracturing. Yes, repairs to those are possible, but that is not an easy or a quick job! I have also had one example of failure of the extractor fan at the rear. But it wasn't the fan, per se, rather the 2-phase control board, one transistor on it: that was a much easier repair.
Overall, the HP 8640B is a fine piece of kit - and for serious and accurate measurements, (between 400 kHz and 500 MHz), it takes a lot of beating.
For those who are curious - there's are photos of mine in the Gallery.
Al.






