I've made aluminium temporary front and back panels and mounted mine on a little baseboard (about 7" x 4"), and have fitted the stereo input sockets (RCA and 3.5mm), a power socket and spring-clip speaker sockets on the rear panel. It's functional, if not pretty! When I get time I'll probably make a nice wooden case for it and a front panel with lettering etc. For now, I've fitted some 'chicken head' knobs on which I had to hand. I'll keep a lookout for some small splined knobs some time which will push on/pull off.
It's a bit awkward to mount the amp as the PCB at the front protrudes further out than the threaded bushes of the controls, so I bent the front mounting panel to enable the controls to be mounted and to clear the PCB. I could possibly have got away with using two nuts on the control bushes to bring a flat from panel far enough forward to clear the PCB. (Further down the line, I may make a flat front mounting panel and see if it will give clearnace with two nuts per shaft.). At the rear of the PCB I drilled three holes through it the ground plane and made three 6mm diam brass pillars tapped 4BA with bolts through them to secure the rear of the PCB. Some pics attached.
I discovered that the two pole on-off switch on the volume control pot was open circuit - probably due to tarnished contacts from >30 years in storage. I drilled a 1mm hole carefully in the perimeter of the black plastic switch section on the rear of the twin gang pot as near to the bottom as I could- the 5 O' clock position looking at the rear of the pot. I squirted Servisol through the hole and worked the switch on & off several times which sorted it.
Just need to wire up the sockets now.
Other than that, I've been up and down ladders trying to tame a conifer hedge before the birds start nesting in it as they are threatening to do.
It's a bit awkward to mount the amp as the PCB at the front protrudes further out than the threaded bushes of the controls, so I bent the front mounting panel to enable the controls to be mounted and to clear the PCB. I could possibly have got away with using two nuts on the control bushes to bring a flat from panel far enough forward to clear the PCB. (Further down the line, I may make a flat front mounting panel and see if it will give clearnace with two nuts per shaft.). At the rear of the PCB I drilled three holes through it the ground plane and made three 6mm diam brass pillars tapped 4BA with bolts through them to secure the rear of the PCB. Some pics attached.
I discovered that the two pole on-off switch on the volume control pot was open circuit - probably due to tarnished contacts from >30 years in storage. I drilled a 1mm hole carefully in the perimeter of the black plastic switch section on the rear of the twin gang pot as near to the bottom as I could- the 5 O' clock position looking at the rear of the pot. I squirted Servisol through the hole and worked the switch on & off several times which sorted it.
Just need to wire up the sockets now.
Other than that, I've been up and down ladders trying to tame a conifer hedge before the birds start nesting in it as they are threatening to do.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







