16-02-2014, 03:17 PM
(16-02-2014, 02:33 PM)AlanBeckett Wrote: On the subject of 'Style', a word I hate, I think the current crop of (saloon) cars are universally revolting. They're fat, bulbous and gross.
The biggest problem - as I see it with modern cars - is they're so damned complicated.
Alan
Para. 1: agreed. √
Para. 2: agreed, but with a 'but'. Difficult - but not impossible - for the design team to have all the now additional bits that improve reliability & performance, yet keep things nice 'n' simple.
My main gripe with modern cars is the very difficult access to the important bits in the engine bay. Yes, I will accept that all the "additional bits that improve reliability & performance" are worthwhile, but I am not convinced that such fitments have to restrict access to the extent to which modern cars are built. If I was a total cynic, I'd say that that is a policy to discourage the classic car owner-mechanic of yesteryear and encourage him / her to take it to a main dealer for servicing. Manufacturers will make more money from the owner that way - especially if he later buys a new car, rather than have another expensive garage repair.
Of all the cars that I have owned, I still rate the Ford Cortina 1600E as one of the best. Just a pity about its insatiable appetite for rust! OTOH, the most troublesome was a Hillman Imp Californian. These days, Vauxhall 'Astras' are current favourites.
Al.






