15-02-2014, 06:13 PM
(15-02-2014, 05:50 PM)Retired Wrote: I remember Daewoo being introduced into the UK amid a barrage of TV publicity adverts and these cars appeared to sell in quantity but is this another marque which has now failed in the UK?
Daewoo car division was taken over by GM in 2001 and in the UK, what were Daewoo cars were re-badged as Chevrolet, but after their brief moment in the sun, they seemed to fade into obscurity. At one time they were marketed by Halford's. The reason Daewoo pulled out wasn't entirely of its own volition or the failure of it's cars to penetrate the market, but as a result of the Korean Government's intervention. Daewoo was founded on 22 March 1967 as Daewoo Industrial and was dismantled by the Korean government in 1999.
Prior to the Asian Financial Crisis of 1997, Daewoo was the second largest conglomerate in Korea after Hyundai Group, followed by LG Group and Samsung Group. There were about 20 divisions under the Daewoo Group, some of which survive today as independent companies. Daewoo was forced to sell off its automotive Daewoo Motor division to General Motors (GM) in 2001. Since then, GM has re-badged Daewoo-manufactured cars as models of many GM brands, including Chevrolet Buick, Pontiac, Holden, and Suzuki. The GM Daewoo nameplate was kept only for South Korea and Vietnam until 2011.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo
Hyundai seem to be doing well in the UK, especially with the Ii0 and Sante Fe 'crossover' vehicle, which is trying to take market share from the Nissan Quashqui. (Hyundai's five-yr warranty is a good confidence builder).
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







