29-01-2014, 09:03 PM
(29-01-2014, 06:12 PM)Radio Fixer Wrote: Sorry David but not for me.
Yeah! I know I'm a right old fuss pot but I just want the restoration to be as close to original as possible. Hate all that plastic, just doesn't look right. And if the shaft has to come a long way, to the front of the cabinet, then the bend in it can actually be felt.
Gary
You a 'fusspot' Gary? Self deprecation does not become you - I'd say the right term is 'meticulous'! The older the set and the more valuable it is, the more I think we should lean not simply towards restoration, (as in 'doing it up'), but on conservation - conserving what's there' and as best we can, not using replacement parts that look out of place. That of course is really what you are into with the radios which receive your attention. 'Doing up' is just not in your DNA!
As reflected in the title of the thread, I only meant for the pots to be used on commonplace tat such as DAC90As and the like - not for classic radios. In my case, the pot is almost identical in size and style to the original pot on the record player, except for the fact that the original had a metal shaft. (The shaft is only 20mm long, and had a 'thumbwheel knob attached to it).
Blore Edwards is a handy outfit and very helpful (as are Omeg). I rang Blore Edwards some time back to see if they could supply an anti-log pot as used on the Portadyne Princess where the pot doubles as reaction and volume. Unfortunately they couldn't, but Omeg would make them to order in the same style as the original, albeit with an MOQ of ten, so it was out of the question for me - I only wanted two.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







