10-01-2014, 03:48 PM
Aldi 'Workzone' tools have a three year warranty. True, they're cheap, but they're not 'cheap tat'. From what I've seen of them and the multi-purpose Workzone 'Fein' type tool that I've bought, they're well made and well up to the task that most of us will put them to. They're intended for occasional DIY work - not top end heavy duty tools for daily use by tradesmen, but the same can be said of Bosch, Makita or whatever if they're the standard 'DIY' store range. I was quite impressed by the Workzone router, router tables and woodturning lathes they recently had on offer. More than adequate for most purposes, but not of course for kitchen fitters and the like. Big heavy duty tools have their place but can be a bit cumbersome to use in situations where a lighter tool would suffice.
In a former life When I was Service Manager at British Gas we bought in Bosch and Makita 650W hammer drills by the thousand, but the makers didn't warrant them for trade use. We used to refurbish them in our own workshop with new armatures, brushes etc, supplied by the makers. They didn't last much more than 3 - 4 months when CH installers were using them daily to drill through walls, hang radiators etc. Bought in bulk they were 65% off list price, so it was no big deal.
We don't shop at Aldi and I can't be bothered to keep going in on the off-chance to see what they might have which could be of interest, so I get the twice weekly newsletter via e-mail which lets you know a few days in advance what 'Special Buys' they have on Thurs and Suns. On the odd occasions when I've seen something I've fancied, of gone first thing as they only have a few, and as with other stores (John Lewis et al), which negotiate cheap 'Special Buy' deals, when they've gone, they've gone, or at least until next time they enter another contract with a supplier for the same item a few months later.
In a former life When I was Service Manager at British Gas we bought in Bosch and Makita 650W hammer drills by the thousand, but the makers didn't warrant them for trade use. We used to refurbish them in our own workshop with new armatures, brushes etc, supplied by the makers. They didn't last much more than 3 - 4 months when CH installers were using them daily to drill through walls, hang radiators etc. Bought in bulk they were 65% off list price, so it was no big deal.
We don't shop at Aldi and I can't be bothered to keep going in on the off-chance to see what they might have which could be of interest, so I get the twice weekly newsletter via e-mail which lets you know a few days in advance what 'Special Buys' they have on Thurs and Suns. On the odd occasions when I've seen something I've fancied, of gone first thing as they only have a few, and as with other stores (John Lewis et al), which negotiate cheap 'Special Buy' deals, when they've gone, they've gone, or at least until next time they enter another contract with a supplier for the same item a few months later.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







