18-11-2013, 05:32 PM
I bought a QL when they were being sold off - I can't remember the price but at the time it was attractive and they flew off the shelves. As I said in another post, the suite of four programs that came with it were quite good - I can only recall Abacus - a spread-sheet, and 'Quill' the word processor. I think what really did it for uncle Clive was when he poured £16 mill of his own money into the Sinclair C5, powered by Hoover motors, confidently believing that it would be a runaway success - basically, a coffin on wheels. Huh? Had he not noticed that bubble cars had fizzled out twenty years earlier?
1985, I bought a Spectrum 16k for my elder son which cost £175, then upgraded it to 48k later for another £45. Accounting for inflation, that equates to £470 today, and another £120 to upgrade to 48k. Think what £590 spent on a computer would buy today in comparison. Three half decent tablets, a top spec I-pad or a very capable desktop or laptop.
Amstrad? The least said the better
1985, I bought a Spectrum 16k for my elder son which cost £175, then upgraded it to 48k later for another £45. Accounting for inflation, that equates to £470 today, and another £120 to upgrade to 48k. Think what £590 spent on a computer would buy today in comparison. Three half decent tablets, a top spec I-pad or a very capable desktop or laptop.
Amstrad? The least said the better
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







