06-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Hi,
Many thanks David for your kind comments regarding my home made 3 phase.
I still use my home made 3 phase most days and so far it's been 100% reliable. I used a big welding transformer as a donor for the lamination's but these lamination's weren't welded. I've not come across welded lamination's but I would have thought an angle grinder could be used to remove the welds if deemed necessary?
I wouldn't recommend a novice to play around with mains electricity as it could be the last thing they do play around with. having said this I'm from a mechanical engineering background and am self taught regarding things electrical learning on a need to know basis but where mains electricity is concerned I'm extremely careful. Whilst winding on the primary on my transformer and adjusting the number of turns I tripped the mains 30A breaker a number of times which is rather disturbing.
Check everything is actually dead by switching off and disconnecting where possible from the supply before touching anything; unplug or pull fuses but be certain it is safe; in my case as I was unsure I took many multimeter readings; all it takes is one mistake to kill and above all whilst doing this kind of work avoid interruptions; how many have broken off mid way then returned to the job thinking it to be isolated?
Please be careful.
Kind regards, Col.
Many thanks David for your kind comments regarding my home made 3 phase.
I still use my home made 3 phase most days and so far it's been 100% reliable. I used a big welding transformer as a donor for the lamination's but these lamination's weren't welded. I've not come across welded lamination's but I would have thought an angle grinder could be used to remove the welds if deemed necessary?
I wouldn't recommend a novice to play around with mains electricity as it could be the last thing they do play around with. having said this I'm from a mechanical engineering background and am self taught regarding things electrical learning on a need to know basis but where mains electricity is concerned I'm extremely careful. Whilst winding on the primary on my transformer and adjusting the number of turns I tripped the mains 30A breaker a number of times which is rather disturbing.
Check everything is actually dead by switching off and disconnecting where possible from the supply before touching anything; unplug or pull fuses but be certain it is safe; in my case as I was unsure I took many multimeter readings; all it takes is one mistake to kill and above all whilst doing this kind of work avoid interruptions; how many have broken off mid way then returned to the job thinking it to be isolated?
Please be careful.
Kind regards, Col.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







