28-08-2013, 09:13 AM
I can't speak for Sony these days as I am long out of the trade but in their hey day there stuff was some of the best.
I worked for Sony as a tech and actually met the man himself.
Their televisions were first rate as were most of the Japanese mainstream TV manufacturers such as Hitachi etc back then.
Their tape recorders were good, that's why they sold lots of them.
They invested heavily in R & D back then, they had a whole department that just researched and developed plastics technology for their products.
I remember when they launched the Trinitron CRT, it was a game changer in my opinion, their sets were solid and well made and I never found servicing them to be a problem, I think the biggest problem was that a lot of British TV techs couldn't get there heads round the fact that the Japs beat us to it.
Our first colour tv was a second hand Sony KV1800, I never had the back off it in all the years we had it.
Times change I guess.
Lawrence.
I worked for Sony as a tech and actually met the man himself.
Their televisions were first rate as were most of the Japanese mainstream TV manufacturers such as Hitachi etc back then.
Their tape recorders were good, that's why they sold lots of them.
They invested heavily in R & D back then, they had a whole department that just researched and developed plastics technology for their products.
I remember when they launched the Trinitron CRT, it was a game changer in my opinion, their sets were solid and well made and I never found servicing them to be a problem, I think the biggest problem was that a lot of British TV techs couldn't get there heads round the fact that the Japs beat us to it.
Our first colour tv was a second hand Sony KV1800, I never had the back off it in all the years we had it.
Times change I guess.
Lawrence.







