22-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Hi,
Many thanks for the safety warning Lawrence; better to know this upfront before the bungalow ends up in ashes? If a paraffin lamp is used indoors say a front room due to power cut are there any dangerous fumes to be worried about?
I wish I hadn't mentioned power cuts. We suffered two blips in our power last night shutting everything down then immediately starting everything up again. Our bedside clock didn't like it and each time starting flashing so I had to get out of bed to reset the time which at 2:30am is annoying; no sooner done this once then it happened again. Each time it triggered the security lights but worst of all I could have cheerfully broken into a neighbours house with a sledgehammer to silence the loud burglar alarm which ran a full 15 minutes after each cut?
To add to my misery I went into the kitchen to find eight slimy slugs on the cushion floor no doubt upset and trying to find a new home as the recent flood defences are now drying everything out; after the second power cut I visited the kitchen again and put out slug #9; one more slug and they could have happily played five a side football on our kitchen floor. I dislike harming any living thing so put the slugs in the garden using paper towel then washing my hands. Hopefully these slugs will disappear once and for all once the underfloor area completely dries out?
When I returned from early morning shopping Bron told me we had suffered a third power cut.
I've just taken pictures of my blowlamp plunger unit. As I explained earlier I expected to see the usual cup shaped leather washer but this blowlamp is different? It is fitted with what appears to be a thick flexible washer and I'm unsure what this is made of. In the compression position this washer rests and seals against a brass boss but in the air inlet position the washer moves towards the rod end allowing air to bypass it through its very loose hole (bore) and hence through the triangular steel washer allowing the chamber to fill with fresh air.
The pictures show the two washer positions and the third picture shows the sum of the components. The problem is that this washer is now worn around its outside sealing edge although I can possibly get around this by installing a common leather cup washer? I wonder if this is why the blowlamp ended up for sale?
Kind regards, Col.
Compression position. Air inlet position and sum of parts.
Many thanks for the safety warning Lawrence; better to know this upfront before the bungalow ends up in ashes? If a paraffin lamp is used indoors say a front room due to power cut are there any dangerous fumes to be worried about?
I wish I hadn't mentioned power cuts. We suffered two blips in our power last night shutting everything down then immediately starting everything up again. Our bedside clock didn't like it and each time starting flashing so I had to get out of bed to reset the time which at 2:30am is annoying; no sooner done this once then it happened again. Each time it triggered the security lights but worst of all I could have cheerfully broken into a neighbours house with a sledgehammer to silence the loud burglar alarm which ran a full 15 minutes after each cut?
To add to my misery I went into the kitchen to find eight slimy slugs on the cushion floor no doubt upset and trying to find a new home as the recent flood defences are now drying everything out; after the second power cut I visited the kitchen again and put out slug #9; one more slug and they could have happily played five a side football on our kitchen floor. I dislike harming any living thing so put the slugs in the garden using paper towel then washing my hands. Hopefully these slugs will disappear once and for all once the underfloor area completely dries out?
When I returned from early morning shopping Bron told me we had suffered a third power cut.
I've just taken pictures of my blowlamp plunger unit. As I explained earlier I expected to see the usual cup shaped leather washer but this blowlamp is different? It is fitted with what appears to be a thick flexible washer and I'm unsure what this is made of. In the compression position this washer rests and seals against a brass boss but in the air inlet position the washer moves towards the rod end allowing air to bypass it through its very loose hole (bore) and hence through the triangular steel washer allowing the chamber to fill with fresh air.
The pictures show the two washer positions and the third picture shows the sum of the components. The problem is that this washer is now worn around its outside sealing edge although I can possibly get around this by installing a common leather cup washer? I wonder if this is why the blowlamp ended up for sale?
Kind regards, Col.
Compression position. Air inlet position and sum of parts.
Happiness is a wreck of a cabinet to restore.







