11-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Just spent the afternoon in the rain with a walkie talkie, compass and sig meter, setting up the dish for the remainder of the satellites while er indoors done the honours on the remote setting up the menus. I'd normally do this sort of thing at the box with a portable telly, long extension lead and a short length of coax but me, electricity and water just do not mix. I'd also use the USALS if it was reliable (but it isn't) so it's back to good old Diseq 1.2 and a lot of motor nudging.
I agree with you on stuff being made "to a price" and power supply units are a case in point. The PSU in the TM box was made in Essex, but the quality of the layout was not exactly on the best to say the least. It will be interesting to see how long the unit lasts now with the new parts installed. One scary, I didn't change one particular cap (68uf 450v) because it was sited on the board well away from the action, but a replacement part, just one, was retailing in the order of £6. My blood might be rich but not that rich.
I agree with you on stuff being made "to a price" and power supply units are a case in point. The PSU in the TM box was made in Essex, but the quality of the layout was not exactly on the best to say the least. It will be interesting to see how long the unit lasts now with the new parts installed. One scary, I didn't change one particular cap (68uf 450v) because it was sited on the board well away from the action, but a replacement part, just one, was retailing in the order of £6. My blood might be rich but not that rich.







