(07-06-2013, 09:02 AM)pwdrive Wrote: """All the *real* timber merchants in the UK seem to only stock 2" x 6" or 8" sawn and I need 1" x 6" finished (PAR)"""
You can get the 6 x 2 resawn to EX 6 x 1, planed finish thickness will come out at around 21 - 22 mm which is the standard PSE thickness for EX 6 x 1, Canadian western red cedar is expensive as it has to come a long way and is consumed in far less quantities than standard carcasing or scots pine. Try Timbmet if they are still around, I used to deal with them years ago when I was sawmilling, most suppliers/sawmills will cut and PSE to customers requirements, a much cheaper option is homegrown western red cedar, there is plenty of that kicking around, home grown sweet chestnut is also durable, plenty of that around too, if one side is external then that side doesn't have to be planed so you will gain an extra mil or so in finished thickness.
Thanks for the pointers - unfortunately, bees are extremely fussy little so-and-sos and things like gaps and sizes are absolutely critical - 21/22mm would be too small - I genuinely need a finished size of 25mm x 150mm and the wastage is too huge from 2 x 8.
There is a lot of sweet chestnut around here - its mixed in with the coppicing - I might give it a go...
sıʌǝɹq ɐʇıʌ `ɐƃuol sɹɐ
ʞɔıu
ʞɔıu







