28-05-2013, 07:27 AM
That old light switch, with its ceramic patress, is quite the most surreal mod I've ever seen on a radio! As a child, we had such switches on the wall of the Victorian house we lived in, and at a guess, I'd say that the switch is twice the age of the radio. Rather a shame that the set has been attacked in this way - why didn't whoever did this, instead use an in-line switch of the type used for table lamps etc?
I think Joe is on the right lines - the main on/off switch contacts have probably welded together preventing the switch from operating, which is no doubt why the light switch was fitted as a Heath Robinson modification. Whether the piano key switch can be repaired is quite another thing. I've got a couple of piano key radios to tackle (A Telefunken Ducato and a Grundig) and it's the switchery that puts me off.
Hope Maitiu makes some progress with it - it does look like a set worth preserving, and the holes in the side where the switch is mounted could be repaired with Milliput or car body filler and painted in to match the Bakelite, given that it's not in a noticeable position.
I think Joe is on the right lines - the main on/off switch contacts have probably welded together preventing the switch from operating, which is no doubt why the light switch was fitted as a Heath Robinson modification. Whether the piano key switch can be repaired is quite another thing. I've got a couple of piano key radios to tackle (A Telefunken Ducato and a Grundig) and it's the switchery that puts me off.
Hope Maitiu makes some progress with it - it does look like a set worth preserving, and the holes in the side where the switch is mounted could be repaired with Milliput or car body filler and painted in to match the Bakelite, given that it's not in a noticeable position.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







