That article, concerning questionabale and arguably disreputable and deceitful practices by printer manufactruers says it all Colin.
I’ve edited this post because remarks I made about OEM ink costs have no relevance to Colin’s original query, except of course that they had a major influence on his buying decision. Colin’s request was for advice and any recommendations as to which all-in-one printer/copier/scanner to buy. Several forum members gave their views on that, Colin has decided upon a Canon Pixma and awaits its delivery. No doubt once the printer is set up and in use he will give us his first impressions. Hence, Colin's original thread has run its distance.
The issue of ink costs, and printer manufactures marketing policies including the pricing of ink and printers is a separate topic which has already been debated at length on the forum. Such debates invariably generate more heat than light and go nowhere. In the final analysis, makers only have control over what they make and how they market it. They do not control purchaser’s buying habits and if they don’t match the needs of the market, they go out of business.
Our individual requirements differ and that will influence our buying decisions. Personally, like Colin, although I take pictures with a digital camera, I don’t print photographs. Many of the pics I take can best be described as 'snapshots' to be sent by e-mail or added as attachments at low resolution to forum posts. Most colour printing I do is the occasional webpage which will later go in the bin. Hence, colour quality and longevity are of little concern to me. As I’ve said several times, the only thing I want a printer to do which most - including Colin - won’t be interested in, is to print onto acetate, which Epsons won’t do, but they don’t make that clear.
I do find that the convenience of an all in one printer with just one device to perform three tasks without the clutter of separate devices is a boon and I’m sure that Colin will.
Good luck with your printer when it arrives Colin!
I’ve edited this post because remarks I made about OEM ink costs have no relevance to Colin’s original query, except of course that they had a major influence on his buying decision. Colin’s request was for advice and any recommendations as to which all-in-one printer/copier/scanner to buy. Several forum members gave their views on that, Colin has decided upon a Canon Pixma and awaits its delivery. No doubt once the printer is set up and in use he will give us his first impressions. Hence, Colin's original thread has run its distance.
The issue of ink costs, and printer manufactures marketing policies including the pricing of ink and printers is a separate topic which has already been debated at length on the forum. Such debates invariably generate more heat than light and go nowhere. In the final analysis, makers only have control over what they make and how they market it. They do not control purchaser’s buying habits and if they don’t match the needs of the market, they go out of business.
Our individual requirements differ and that will influence our buying decisions. Personally, like Colin, although I take pictures with a digital camera, I don’t print photographs. Many of the pics I take can best be described as 'snapshots' to be sent by e-mail or added as attachments at low resolution to forum posts. Most colour printing I do is the occasional webpage which will later go in the bin. Hence, colour quality and longevity are of little concern to me. As I’ve said several times, the only thing I want a printer to do which most - including Colin - won’t be interested in, is to print onto acetate, which Epsons won’t do, but they don’t make that clear.
I do find that the convenience of an all in one printer with just one device to perform three tasks without the clutter of separate devices is a boon and I’m sure that Colin will.
Good luck with your printer when it arrives Colin!
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







