29-03-2013, 06:46 PM
(This post was last modified: 29-03-2013, 06:48 PM by Old Sparky.)
I had checked, and re-soldered suspect joints on the PCB earlier, Mark. Didn't see any evidence of damage due to leaky batteries. The connections to the 5-pin plug seem to be O.K., and it's a good tight fit in it's socket, whose terminals I've re-soldered, though I admit I didn't remove all the original solder first. As to the current consumption, the figure is missing because I didn't measure it. A day later, when I switched the Hunter back on, it was working perfectly, and has been ever since. BTW it runs from Hacker's original mains unit, though it had a couple of PP9s in it when I first got involved, which were run down. They haven't been replaced.
My first thoughts were that the current drain would be lower than normal with the fault 'on', but then I thought that, if the BC159 were leaky or s/c C to E, it would be higher, since the AC 176 would be more conductive, whereas if the 176 was leaky or s/c the drain would be lower. Correct, chaps?
Incidentally I've always referred to transistors in the T4(BC159)position as 'drivers', though I guess 'V.A.S.' is more correct, Mark. Looks like I'm going to be replacing T1, T2, &T4 in any case. I've a number of BC108s, Bc238s, etc, and no doubt some PNP devices also, so that's no problem. As to AC series developing 'Tin Whiskers, I used to think they didn't until I repaired a couple of Dynatron SRX series sets a few years ago, in which this did happen. Going back to the Hacker, presumably the fault is unlikely to be caused by the Vbe Multiplier, an OC79 or similar?
My first thoughts were that the current drain would be lower than normal with the fault 'on', but then I thought that, if the BC159 were leaky or s/c C to E, it would be higher, since the AC 176 would be more conductive, whereas if the 176 was leaky or s/c the drain would be lower. Correct, chaps?
Incidentally I've always referred to transistors in the T4(BC159)position as 'drivers', though I guess 'V.A.S.' is more correct, Mark. Looks like I'm going to be replacing T1, T2, &T4 in any case. I've a number of BC108s, Bc238s, etc, and no doubt some PNP devices also, so that's no problem. As to AC series developing 'Tin Whiskers, I used to think they didn't until I repaired a couple of Dynatron SRX series sets a few years ago, in which this did happen. Going back to the Hacker, presumably the fault is unlikely to be caused by the Vbe Multiplier, an OC79 or similar?






