14-03-2013, 10:13 AM
Yes, pulling out stuck Landrovers (and others) that in the main is down to the people that drive them, there is no magic about 4 x 4's, some 4 x 4's have certain advantages over others for serious off road driving, it's all down to how the vehicle is driven, once all the treads get plugged up it makes very little difference what vehicle it is.
In my experience of off road work it's down to anticipation, you can't anticipate if going like the clappers in an off road situation on unknown terrain, the other very important things are gear selection, egine speed, engine braking etc. Some 4 x 4's are designed for off road some are designed for posers, to me, there is little point in buying a 4 x 4 if you only have leaves in your road or to run yer kids to school.
As for winter ice and snow the same more or less applies, if it's hard sheet ice then it's pointless unless you have studded tyres or the correct type of chains fitted. Remember that a lot of these vehicles have a high center of gravity.
The most common reason for folks getting stuck in 4 x 4's is that they have a belief that 4 driven wheels will get you out of most things, this is not so, 4 wheel traction, yes, 4 wheels going round, no.
I have had this argument with loads about which is the best vehicle for off road, the simple answer is a tank, but I have to say that for all the years I have been driving Landrovers they have never left me stuck insofar that I always manged to get out of a fix without vehicular assistance.
A 4 x 4 needs to be prepared if going off road, modified air intakes, breathers, good set of mud pluggers, winch, either fitted or at least a Tirfor, rope, chain, shovel, certain drain holes plugged etc I wonder how many do that when pelting through a flooded ford or river or even in field at yer local social event... If you get stuck then it's usually your own fault.
Lawrence.
In my experience of off road work it's down to anticipation, you can't anticipate if going like the clappers in an off road situation on unknown terrain, the other very important things are gear selection, egine speed, engine braking etc. Some 4 x 4's are designed for off road some are designed for posers, to me, there is little point in buying a 4 x 4 if you only have leaves in your road or to run yer kids to school.
As for winter ice and snow the same more or less applies, if it's hard sheet ice then it's pointless unless you have studded tyres or the correct type of chains fitted. Remember that a lot of these vehicles have a high center of gravity.
The most common reason for folks getting stuck in 4 x 4's is that they have a belief that 4 driven wheels will get you out of most things, this is not so, 4 wheel traction, yes, 4 wheels going round, no.
I have had this argument with loads about which is the best vehicle for off road, the simple answer is a tank, but I have to say that for all the years I have been driving Landrovers they have never left me stuck insofar that I always manged to get out of a fix without vehicular assistance.
A 4 x 4 needs to be prepared if going off road, modified air intakes, breathers, good set of mud pluggers, winch, either fitted or at least a Tirfor, rope, chain, shovel, certain drain holes plugged etc I wonder how many do that when pelting through a flooded ford or river or even in field at yer local social event... If you get stuck then it's usually your own fault.
Lawrence.







