18-01-2013, 05:13 PM
Thanks for the words of wisdom Gary.
The question of ripple rating is always something that's concerned me, but then when I've occasionally considered the disgorging and re-stuffing the smoothing caps of some old radios - in one case, a triple section cap in a Pye R33, ( 8+32+32uF @ 275V) - the originals have been really quite puny and there was no chance of modern ones of the same value fitting inside the can. In that instance, only the 8uF section wouldn't reform, so I fitted a replacement under the chassis and left the can alone with the two 32uF sections working quite nicely. Incidentally, that radio has a half-wave contact cooled selnium rectifier (quaintly refered to on the data sheet as 'V4'!), so in that instance, the frequency would be 50Hz rather than 100Hz in a full-wave rectifier.
You're right about the BVWS caps. The smaller (25mm diam) can types for re-stuffing, in 8, 16 & 32uF at 500V aren't bad value at £4.50 each.
The question of ripple rating is always something that's concerned me, but then when I've occasionally considered the disgorging and re-stuffing the smoothing caps of some old radios - in one case, a triple section cap in a Pye R33, ( 8+32+32uF @ 275V) - the originals have been really quite puny and there was no chance of modern ones of the same value fitting inside the can. In that instance, only the 8uF section wouldn't reform, so I fitted a replacement under the chassis and left the can alone with the two 32uF sections working quite nicely. Incidentally, that radio has a half-wave contact cooled selnium rectifier (quaintly refered to on the data sheet as 'V4'!), so in that instance, the frequency would be 50Hz rather than 100Hz in a full-wave rectifier.
You're right about the BVWS caps. The smaller (25mm diam) can types for re-stuffing, in 8, 16 & 32uF at 500V aren't bad value at £4.50 each.
Regards, David.
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'
BVWS Member.
G-QRP Club Member 1339.
'I'm in my own little world, but I'm happy, and they know me here'







